What is UpBeat’s policy for missed lessons?
- Lesson must be cancelled at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled lesson time in order to receive a makeup lesson.
- No shows or failure to notify the school within 24 hours is considered a forfeited lesson.
- No more than 2 makeup lessons per quarterly session.
- Makeup lessons are valid only within the quarter; no carry over.
- If you know ahead of time that you cannot make a lesson, please notify our staff.
- To cancel a lesson email or call
- (773) 384-3469
- There are no refunds on unused or cancelled lessons.
- Any lessons cancelled at least 24 hours ahead will receive a makeup lesson at a time convenient to both the teacher and the student.
- Makeup lessons typically take place on an alternate time/day within the week. In some cases, additional time will be added after/before the original lesson time.
- Makeup lessons not used during the current session will be considered forfeited.
Where is the best place to park?
There is free street parking on Irving and around the corner on Lowell and also parking on most side streets near the UpBeat Studio.
What if my child gets to lessons early?
We have tables and chairs set up in the front area so students can do her/his homework, draw/color or play games.
Will the students perform?
- Throughout the session, students will be performing for the teachers and each other during lesson times. Students will be preparing material to perform for the last week of lessons. Performance dates/times will be announced at the beginning of each session.
- There is a $10 performance fee per student.
How does payment work?
We ask that payment for lessons or camp is made at the time of registration or at the first class. You may also choose to make full payment during the registration process. Flexible payment plans are available if needed.
- Credit Card
- Made out to UpBeat Music and Arts
For convenience, we can keep your credit card number on our secure server and run the lesson fees when they come due.
- Group Piano Lessons
- $28 / 60 Minutes
- $325 / Week
- Individual Lessons
- $28 / 30 minutes
- $38 / 45 minutes
Receipts and email reminders will be sent out to let you know when the fees are due.
Do I need to register for each session if my child is already attending UpBeat?
Your current time slot will be held and confirmed 2 weeks before each session. If we have a credit card on file, we can automatically charge with your permission to confirm your time slot.
What's the best class for a beginner?
For young beginners the best way to start is usually private lessons. Once the player has control of the keyboard and basic terminology, the student can move to Group Piano if desired. We recommend private lessons and then evaluate the best course of action for the student.
Group vs. Individual Piano Lessons?
Both individual and group piano are good options for students, but the best fit is usually dependent on age, level of focus and similar factors. Both classes will cover the same type of material (work with scales, technique, music theory, and personalized song choices).
- 1-on-1 with an instructor for the entire lesson, working on building proper playing technique
- 30 minutes or 45 minutes
- We’ve found that young beginners with no prior music or piano experience do well with 30 minute private lessons.
- $28 / 30 Minutes
- $38 / 45 Minutes
- Students will be taught an individual lesson plan in a group environment.
- Curriculum is still personalized to the student, but our 60-minute group classes also offer a chance for completing exercises with other students and playing songs for the whole group, all while building a sense of community.
- Weekly progress performances
- Students learn what it means to share with an audience and be a good performer.
- $28 / 60 Minute Class
Can anyone join a student band?
To join a UpBeat band, students must first be enrolled in the weekly lessons on their respective instrument and complete an informal audition.
- $28 / 60 Minute Rehearsal
Can I enroll my child in more than one week of camp?
Yes, students are more than welcome to take more than one week of camp. Camps are progressive so students can join any camp and continue at their own pace and their own level.
For example, some students choose to attend a single week of camp, some choose consecutive weeks, while others choose to spread out camps throughout the summer.
Will students have an opportunity to be outdoors?
The UpBeat Camp schedule includes an outside lunch period at a local park to eat lunch and play games. Camps will be supervised at all times by UpBeat staff members. We will visit Kolmar Park for UpBeat Studio camps and Hamlin Park for Alcott camps.
What should my child bring to camp everyday?
You should pack the following:
- Bag lunch
- Any necessary medications (with instructions)
Please label all of your child’s belongings. UpBeat will not be responsible for anything lost or misplaced.
How should my child dress?
Children should dress comfortably and ready for activities – shorts, t-shirts, sneakers.
How will drop-off and pick-up of my child be handled?
UpBeat will have a counselor who will greet your child at the door during the morning and guide them to the music room. On the first day of Camp, there will be an attendant at the front door who will greet you and your child and direct you to the music room where we ask that parents come to verify that we have all registration, payment and emergency contact information in order.
For days 2 and beyond, it is not necessary for parents to come in unless they choose. An attendant will greet the children at the door and see that they get to the music room.”
We will have a counselor at the door to supervise pick-up as well.
What is the refund policy?
If cancellation occurs prior to June 15, the deposit less the $100 application fee is refundable. There will be no refunds after June 15.
If my child has never played piano, can he/she attend camp?
Yes, all levels are welcome. Camp is structured to provide personalized lesson plans based on ability. Each student will move at his/her own pace through the week.
My child is interested in other instruments, will they get the opportunity to try other instruments?
Based on staff for each camp, students will have the opportunity to try and learn other instruments including guitar, ukulele, art, and singing.
Will there be an opportunity to hear the students perform?
Yes. Each Thursday at 2:30pm the campers will put on a performance of songs that they will be working on throughout the week. Parents, family, and friends are encouraged to attend the free performance.
After camp ends will my child have an opportunity to receive additional piano lessons from UpBeat?
Yes! We offer year-round, after-school lessons in piano, guitar, bass, ukulele, vocals, art and ensemble. Ask teachers about the best way to register for weekly classes.
How does payment work?
We ask that payment for classes or camp is made at the time of registration. A minimum $100 deposit is due at the time of registration, with the full amount due by or at the first day of class. You may also choose to make full payment during the registration process
- Credit Card
- Made out to UpBeat Music and Arts
- Camp is $325/week